In this blog Rebecca Gilliam, Foundation Executive Director, discusses the importance of charitable giving and strategies to help you get started.
It’s easy to get caught up checking boxes on our to-do list and forget the impact that giving and gratitude giving can have on our well-being. Researchers have found that gratitude “helps people feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve their health, deal with adversity, and build strong relationships .”Check out this article for more details about the research. https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/giving-thanks-can-make-you-happier
Giving and gratitude are two sides of the same coin. When we give, we generate opportunities for gratitude in both us and the recipients of our generosity. Likewise, practicing gratitude often leads to a natural inclination to give back.
Giving, whether in the form of time, money, or kindness, has a remarkable ability to forge connections with others. One of the most immediate and vital impacts of charitable giving is addressing the basic needs of families and individuals in our community. Locally, organizations like food pantries, local churches, and social service agencies work to meet the needs of the most vulnerable in our community.
Charitable giving does not need to be limited to meeting immediate needs. It also serves as a catalyst for lasting change. One of the benefits of giving through the Wayne County Foundation is our ability to provide impact grants and impact investments in projects and programs that require more funding than an individual may be able to give. This year, the Foundation, through Forward Wayne County, worked with a team of local leaders, community advocates, and elected officials to develop a plan to improve the quality of life in Wayne County through investments in local projects. The Foundation was excited to approve grant funding for park and playground projects in Milton, Cambridge City, Economy, East Germantown, and Dublin.
Strategies for Giving and Gratitude
You, too, can have an attitude of giving and gratitude. Here are a few tips that will get you started:
- Choose an organization or a cause that aligns with your values and passions.
- Before donating, research the organizations you intend to support. The Wayne County Foundation maintains a list of nonprofit organizations serving Wayne County. https://waynecountyfoundation.org/nonprofit-database/ Each listing has a link to the organization’s website and contact information.
- Giving is not limited to money. You can also donate your time, skills, or unused items.
- Take a few minutes each day to reflect on what you are thankful for and jot it down in a journal. You may find this helps with your sense of contentment and overall happiness.
- Share your gratitude with others. When someone does something you appreciate, let them know.
- Express gratitude by doing an act of kindness.
The Wayne County Foundation is your partner in giving and gratitude. We are thankful for you, our valued donor and friend. We are thankful for the nonprofit organizations that tirelessly serve our community and provide support to those who need it most.